Hopefully this beautiful weather holds for our school Family Picnic tomorrow night from 6:00-7:30pm. There will be a sausage sizzle and music, so pack a picnic and bring the whole family to the field for some fun. (option - Dads feel free to bring an oversized watermelon for the entertainment and amusement of those around you)
M1 has taken up Chloe's challenge to be soft plastic free this week. The problem:
If you walk around at lunchtime and take a good look at the lunches our children bring to school, here's what the typical lunch will look like:
- sandwiches in disposable plastic bags
- fruits and vegetables in plastic bags
- prepackaged chips, cookies, fruit bars, granola bars, cheeses, and fruit leathers
- single-use yogurts
- crackers, pretzels, chips, and other snack foods sealed in plastic bags
- disposable juice boxes, juice pouches, water bottles, and milk cartons
- plastic forks and spoons
- paper napkins
- reusable lunchboxes and disposable paper and plastic bags
A Single-Use Plastic Free Lunch:
- sandwiches and other main dishes, fresh fruits and, fresh vegetables, and treats in a reusable lunch container or containers
- cloth napkins
- stainless-steel forks and spoons
- reusable drink containers
- reusable lunch boxes
When Chloe first started collecting our soft plastic there was a lot! a big bag full in a week, but this last week there were less that 10 pieces each day which is a big improvement!
We hope that the kids will start there own soft plastic bag at home and take it to the supermarket or warehouse to re cycle. It’s amazing how much space it all takes up in a rubbish bin and how much less rubbish you have each week without soft plastic. Here is Chloe using the recycle bin to dispose of our classes soft plastics.:
Samuel wanted to share a song with the class to remind us we all can make a difference
We are starting to gather together our work from the year. I will endeavour to have everything mostly collated by Friday, so feel free to take come in any time from Friday afternoon to collect your child's books and art work. If you have informed me that you are leaving for the holidays early, I will have your child's books etc ready earlier.
This week we farewell Teneale who is breaking early to travel to England with her family. Have a wonderful holiday Holbrook's and we will see you again in 2018!
Any remaining readers or library books returned asap please. Stocktake starts Tuesday.