My family had a relaxing break. We went to Rotorua for a few days to take in the sights and ...smells. We missed the snow by a day, but it was still FREEZING! Here we are taking in the treetop walk in the Redwood Forest.
This Term we have some exciting learning coming our way. Our inquiry is around Social Responsibility and Movement. We will be starting by thinking about houses, how houses have changed and moving houses. We have a TOP SECRET experience for the kids to take part in that will get them thinking about why people move and what it feels like to have to find somewhere new to be. On Friday of Week 1 the children will arrive at school to discover our classroom has been "quarantined" and closed for an indefinite period. We will then be forced to relocate and make do in another space around the school for the day. PLEASE DO NOT TELL YOUR CHILD THIS WILL BE HAPPENING. I want it to be an authentic experience of displacement to get the children thinking and to generate spontaneous discussion, problem solving and emotions. Know that your child will be safe and well cared for during this adventure experience.
I am still on the hunt for any of the following things:
- If you, or someone you know is a builder and working on a local project and would be willing to have small groups visit them or interview them, please let me know.
- If you have any materials like planks/pieces of treated wood, pallets, spare nails, hammers etc the kids could use to create a building project outside our room, or on the carpentry table during free choice time, please also let me know. If anyone is handy and could create a miniature house frame for the kids to bang some walls onto and add a little roof the children would over the moon!
- If you, or someone you know is moving house or a Real Estate Agent, we would love to chat with you or them!
- If you have small, medium or large boxes at home we would love to have them!
- If you have any hidden talents in the area of puppetry or storytelling feel free to perform for us!
Remember that this Wednesday is the Soft Toy Tea Party:
This Term we welcome Ting, an International Student joining us from Monday for 4 weeks.
Byron will be back student teaching with us in August too for 3 weeks this time.
Here is an overview of our learning this term:
If you would like to volunteer in any capacity this term, please let me know.
I look forward to another fun term in M1!
See you soon!